Monday 23 May 2016

My kind of monastery

On a rare sunny day my cousin Eric, who lives in the southern city of Eindhoven, took me on a tour of his favourite pubs. Except this one isn't a pub but a Trappist monastery just across the border in Belgium where the monks pay their keep by brewing some particularly tasty beer and making cheese. This is the kind of monastery I would think about joining. The photo shows us rehydrating after a walk in a Dutch forest and back to Belgium again.  
It was the first time I'd spent any time with Eric - a keen motorcyclist, hiker, talker and fluent
speaker of English, Dutch, French, German and Spanish - since he was a boy growing up in France. I also met his lovely partner Mirtha, an Irish citizen who hails from Peru.
 
And here's Eric again during our cross-border trek. Thanks for the great stay!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment