Friday 20 May 2016

The family grog shop

Readers of this blog from the very start may remember that I wanted to find the house in Leiden where my great-uncle had a liquor shop when my father was a boy. Today, using an old photo, I managed to find it on a street called Lage Rijndijk. Better still, I found an old fellow who bought the building from my great-uncle more than 40 years ago. He gave us a look around in the old liquor storehouse which he'd turned into his home and told us a great many stories. That's him on the right, with my cousin Ted (a just-retired judge) and his son Erik (a soon-to-be business psychologist). 

This was the shop in the 1920s...
 ...and this is it today. The shop is long gone but stained glass signs advertising booze and displaying the family name are still there.

















No comments:

Post a Comment